This article demonstrates how to create a D2L Assignment. The D2L Assignment tool allows instructors to collect student assignment submissions electronically, allowing for easy tracking of student submissions. The Assignment tool allows instructors to view and evaluate assignment submissions within the D2L Annotation tool and return scores and feedback to students in an efficient manner.
Setting up a New Assignment Folder
Navigate to the Assignment tool by clicking "Assessments > Assignments" in the navigation menu.
Assignments default to "ungraded." If this is a graded assignment, click "ungraded" to enter the score value.
Click on "In Grades" to:
- Choose from Grades - Create a new grade item or choose an existing grade item to tie to this assignment.
- Remove from Grades - Allows the assignment to be scored, but the score will not be included in the gradebook.
- Reset to Ungraded - Changes the assignment back to the default ungraded assignment.
When choosing from grades, you can create a new grade item for the assignment, or associate it to an existing grade item.
Availability Dates & Conditions
- Start Date and End Date controls when the assignment is available to students.
- Release conditions control access to the assignment based on other conditions.
- Special access can make the assignment available to individual students outside the normal assignment requirements.
Submission & Completion
- Select an “Assignment Type.”
- Individual assignment – Each user submits files and the files assessed individually. (Default)
- Group assignment – Any member of the assigned group can submit an assignment to a group folder. Group members are assigned a common grade during evaluation. Groups must be setup first to enable this assignment type.
- Set the "Submission Type."
- File submission - learners upload and submit a file to the assignment. A file upload is required.
- Text submission - learners post text, image, or a link to their work in a text box within the assignment. A file upload is not required.
- On paper submission - learners submit a physical copy of their assignment directly to their instructor. No file upload is required to complete the assignment.
- Observed in person - allows instructors to observe learners as they perform tasks, such as in-class presentations, and evaluate them using Assignments. No file upload is required to complete the assignment.
- Set the “Submission Options” to designate the number of submissions allowed and which submissions are retained by the system. Submission options will vary depending on the submission type.
- Enter a notification email if you wish to be notified each time an assignment is submitted.
Evaluation & Feedback
- You can attach a D2L Rubric by clicking “Add rubric.” For more information on D2L Rubrics, see the Rubrics Setup article.
- KU is not currently using Learning Objectives.
- Enables the Annotation tools for assignment assessment.
- Enable Turnitin Feedback Studio (Originality Check and GradeMark).
You can add Assignments to categories in the bulk edit mode. First check off the assignments you want to add categories for, and then click “bulk edit.”
On the bulk edit page, there will be a “category” drop down for each assignment to apply the appropriate category.